Two required program courses. 3 credits each. Just $200 per course.We want you to see how engaging and manageable West courses can be. Whether you’re interested in pursuing a bachelor degree or a master degree, we invite you to Start Smart.SM.
- If you’re a new student*, try your first two required, 3-credit courses for just $200 each, $400 total. Please see below for course descriptions.
- You can make tuition payments at any time during your first two courses. Payment in full is due by the time you complete the two courses.
- To qualify for full admission, you’ll need to earn a 2.0 or better (undergraduate) or a 3.0 or better (graduate) in your introductory courses, complete the full admission application, and pay in full for your two Start Smart courses. View the University Catalog for complete admission requirements.
- When you go on to pursue your degree with us, the two introductory courses (6 credits) apply toward your degree as required credits for each program.
- Introductory course credits may also be eligible for transfer to other colleges and universities.**
- After you’ve completed your first two courses, regular tuition rates apply—a very affordable $250 per credit hour for undergraduate and $350 per credit hour for graduate students.***
It's Easy to Get Started!
Just click on the Get Started link to complete a brief course registration form. You'll receive a confirmation page and a welcome email with your next steps for getting started in your courses.
Start Smart Courses
CUL 100 Culture and Globalization
This course offers an introduction to cultural geography with a focus on cultural categories. The course surveys major world cultural patterns, resources, population, and the changing relationships of human groups and the physical environment. Students will explore the complexity of places and regions to gain a sense of their own cultural identity within the context of the larger world cultures as well as the interconnections between their lives and those of people in different parts of the world.
BUS 230 Emerging Technologies
This course examines emergent technologies and their impact on communications, employee relations, and the global economy. Students gain an understanding of best practices and how organizations of all types align, partner, and communicate through the use of technology. Topics include nanotechnology, biotechnology, media technology, disruptive technologies, and security.
CUL 623 Global Communication for Professionals
This course provides an overview of critical topics related to professional communication and develops techniques for successful intercultural exchanges. Students analyze global communication differences in relation to organizational decision-making and labor relations. Themes include communication models, research methods, proxemics, and negotiation processes.
BUS 620 Ethical Leadership and Corporate Responsibility
This course examines ethical systems and how corporate ideals are reflected in individual and organizational behavior. Students investigate ethical dilemmas to discover how congruence between individual and corporate values is developed and maintained. Themes include the nature of morality, disparate legal systems, and business ethics.
*New students who have not attended a West course in the past 365 days, and West bachelor graduates enrolling for a new West master degree.
**Acceptance of credit by any institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits accepted by or earned at Western International University will be accepted by another institution. Introductory course grades and transcripts will be issued upon payment in full for the two courses.
***You will receive information about official admission to West, transfer of college credit, and payment options for future course tuition during your introductory courses. Complete financial information and information about federal financial aid can be found in our Consumer Information Guide, or visit www.studentaid.gov for information about federal financial aid.