The importance of establishing a career goal
The start of any good career plan begins with having a clear idea of where you are heading. A "career goal" is a career that you are interested in pursuing. Choosing a career goal (or even multiple career goals) will keep you focused to ensure you are building the right skill sets and marketing yourself the right way to potential employers.
Items to consider when choosing a career goal:
- Does this career align with your current degree program?
- Does this career align with your current degree level? (Associate, Bachelor, etc.)
- How many years of experience do employers typically look for in candidates?
- How does this career align with your interests? Is this a role you would enjoy? To get at these answers you can review current job openings through the tool.
- Is demand high for this job in your area? Are you willing to relocate to another location where there is more demand?
- Does the average salary meet your income expectations and needs?
As you can tell, there are a lot of factors to take into account when choosing your career goal. You are now ready to go to the next stage. Mark this stage as complete using the checkbox below, and then we'll tell you about the Career Exploration tool.